Saturday 7 April 2012

A vulture or two!

Saturday, 7th April, 2012

Over the last couple of days (and also at a conference in Tansen last week), I have been having some cracking vulture sightings. Today, I had 24 fly over the house in a period of about half an hour. Yesterday, it was 21 - what will it be tomorrow I wonder?

Several of them are left unidentified (Himalayan/Eurasian sub-adults I think) but fortunately I managed to take photos of some and will be posting them on the blog for ID before too long. In the meantime, here are some confirmed sightings, taken both here in Dhangadhi and in Tansen (Butwal). The fist is a superb lifer for me, a Lammergeier seen from the hotel balcony in Tansen. The birds that follow were all taken in Dhangadhi and before you comment, I know Shikra and Woolly-necked Stork aren't vultures - but I did see them at the same time!

More to follow - all the tricky ones!

Mark.

Lammergeier - Tansen

Egyptian Vulture - Dhangadhi

Red-headed Vulture - Dhangadhi

Shikra - Dhangadhi

White-rumped Vulture - Dhangadhi

Woolly-necked Stork - Dhangadhi

No comments:

Post a Comment